March 2, 2011

It's Kind of a Funny Story

I recently watched the movie It's Kind of a Funny Story because one of my favorite actors, Zach Galifanakis, is in it. I first saw Zach in the movie The Hangover, he is extremely funny and very good at acting as that "weird" character that is just kinda off and does strange little things. If you want to see some of his type of humor I suggest you check out some videos he did for Funny or Die called "Between Two Ferns" where he interviews famous actors and actresses. It's Kind of a Funny Story is about a 16 year old boy named Craig (Keir Gilchrist) who is struggling with depression. One he day he decides he cant handle it and he calls the suicide help line, they tell him should go to the hospital. He originally goes to just get medication to try and help but the doctor brings up the possibility of him staying in the psychiatric ward of the hospital and Craig immediately says he wants to do that. He quickly wants to change that decision because he realizes that most of the people in the ward have a lot more serious conditions then just depression, but the doctors tell him he has to stay for at least 5 days so hes stuck. Over those 5 days he starts to find himself with the help of Bobby (Zach Galifanakis) and some others in the ward, he even develops a crush for a girl.

From: FocusFeatures on Youtube
This is probably my favorite scene from the movie, it is during one of there group therapy sessions.

I would say this movie is a "feel good" type movie, its supposed to make you think and then at the end make you happy, and I think it does a very good job of that. It also has bits of comedy, Zach Galifanakis's character is a kind of off person and he has some really funny parts, but he also has some very serious parts. It deals a lot with depression and what types of things can go into a teen being depressed. It talks about school, girls, college applications, parents expectations as things that can drive a teen into being depressed and I think its very realistic. A lot of teens struggle with depression and the movie does a really good job of talking about this topic. 

I really liked this movie, it makes you laugh but it also makes you think about life in a new way. It makes you realize that some people have a harder time dealing with some things and that we all need to understand that. I would definitely watch this movie again and I would give it a 5/5 rating. I watched it with a friend and she also thought it was really good, its based off a novel and are both interested in reading the book.

I would recommend this movie to anyone, its a really good "feel good" movie and I actually felt really happy after watching it. It also has some great comedy and its just an overall good movie. I hope that it gets some recognition because it is really good and should be seen by as many people as possible.

1 comment: